Thursday, May 13, 2010

question #2

I’ve learned a lot of numerous things about this semester’s comm. 141 class, but the most interesting recent thing I’ve learned was from the Group Facilitation project. This project taught me to break down stereotypes I had about a group and to visually watch how they reacted with each other and how each of their roles played a part in their group. I’ve never experienced before the comradery and friendship I saw in the fraternity I observed. They were grateful enough to invite me into one of their meetings and even told me many of their traditions they follow as a group. It was a great experience learning from a diverse group of all different ages and ethnicities. It has inspired me to broaden my spectrum of friends and learn to listen to what they have to say before stereotyping what I see. I agree that this class has helped me a lot to observe outside groups in a whole different and meaningful way.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree!! The group facilitation project was the key thing that helped me bring together the textbook and reality. My group also had a wide range of ages, and it helped bring out different opinions for each person. It sounds like the group had the "togetherness" or cohesion that is explained in the Critical Thinking text. This class does show people a wide range of how to interprete and understand things and people. I, too, have learned how to pay more attention to what people have to say instead of judging them right when we meet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree also! But unfortunately my group for the observation of an outside group project was not as diverse as I had hoped. But because my group was not diverse I was able to explore why the team could have preformed better if there was diversity among the group. I learned from this class that diversity is beneficial in small groups, and stereotypes in all ways only hold groups back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cinnaminh,

    I enjoyed reading your post. I think that it was creative of you to choose a fraternity as your group to observe. I would have never thought to observe a group like that. I agree this this class has opened my eyes to diversity of others and of the groups that they are involved in. I have a different presepective on others. I must say before this class I was stereotypical of other groups that I was not firmilar with and now I see that my perseptions of the group were in correct most of the time. I am glad that I was able to see the differences now that this class has opened my eyes. I agree with you 100% that the experiences in this class has made me look much differently at outside groups.

    ReplyDelete